Thursday, October 30, 2014

ロンドンの旅行記 5番

Today is my last day in London - time flies! It was a typical cloudy day, but strangely the weather doesn't make me feel depressed. Sometimes it is more relaxing to walk on a cloudy day like this. I got up early for the borough market under the London bridge. Before, I took the tube to the St Paul's Cathedral and walked along the River Thames after the Millenium Bridge. London always has patches of green land and some historical sites scattered in the city, and this makes the city a lot more interesting.
St Paul's Cathedral
Millennium Bridge
Borough Market
London Bridge 
After the visit to the British Museum, my stay in London comes to end. I have to say London is after all a great metropolitan city with strong historical feel despite an occasional air of arrogance. NYC is more modern and vibrant, but more disorganized. Tokyo always has a depressing feeling, and even the air in HK smells materialistic. Not being biased towards NYC and London, but they are the kind of city I want to live in, though occasionally it would be awesome to escape modernity and find some comforting solitude in the countryside.
Winchester Palace Ruins
Tower Bridge
Yesterday I met up with another two of my high school classmates. We haven't met for four years, and we all kind of lamented how old we felt. I felt really happy that after so long, we could still happily chat as if we were back in the old days. And it was great to know all my classmates are doing well, having their life plans carried out, and enjoying what they are currently doing. We joked that by the next time I was able to go back to Singapore, it would probably be someone's wedding - haha, I look forward to that. Hope we could keep in touch and keep up the positive attitude - hopefully after another four years I would be proud to have known all the great surgeons, dentists, finance gurus and ministers. Good luck to us all!

Heading to the Windsor Castle tomorrow and will reach Oxford in the evening. Couldn't wait to seeing more friends!

A recap of good stuff to do in London:
Museum: British Museum, V&A, National Gallery; Natural History, Science, Museum of London
Markets: Borough and Covent Garden Markets
Theatre: tons near Picadilly, like West End
Parks: Regent's Park, Hyde Park
Icons: Big Ben, London Eye, St Paul's Cathedral, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Millenium Bridge, Westminster Cathedral and Abbey, Buckingham Palace, 10 Downing Street
Neighborhood: Cotswold, Bath, Stonehedge

No comments:

Post a Comment